A membrane switch is an electrical switch that is used for turning a circuit on and off. These switches are interface utilities designed to be helpful to users by facilitating ease of communication and commands between electronic devices and the people operating them.
You can think of a membrane switch as part of the category of technological components that includes touch screens, toggle switches, plastic keyboards, and other systems that help in controlling technological devices. Such devices can be as simple as switches used to manipulate lighting to exactly how you want it, or as complicated as the switch panels that are used to control the operations of a computer.
Whatever a membrane switch is used for, they are advanced pieces of technology designed to help users control and manipulate technology to their advantage.
Membrane Switch vs. Mechanical Switch
Understanding the difference between a membrane switch and a mechanical switch is actually quite simple, as the difference has more to do with the build and form of the switch rather than its functionality. When you consider it in terms of actual operation, both utilities essentially work the same.
What sets a membrane switch apart from a mechanical switch because the circuit is printed on PET, a plastic, or ITO, a transparent conducting film. The ink used in this printing process is typically either copper, silver, or graphite. The reason for the selection of these materials in the process of developing the ideal membrane switch is for the flexibility of the material being printed on, and the electrical conducting properties of the ink implemented in the process.
This differs from mechanical switches, which are typically constructed from copper and plastic parts. While these switches can functionally accomplish the same feats, they do not offer the same flexibility that come with membrane switches, which can come in handy in a number of different scenarios.
Benefits of a Membrane Switch
There are several different types of membrane switches available on the market today that are able to assist their users in completing all sorts of tasks, from controlling their computer to changing the lighting on a stage. There are countless reasons that you would want to use a membrane switch to help you send communications and commands to your computer with ease. Here are some of the benefits you can expect from using membrane switch technology:
- Sealed Surface: Membrane switches feature a completely sealed surface, allowing them to be easily sterilized and cleaned.
- Thin: The extreme slimness of membrane switches helps to save your invaluable space in a product’s design.
- Compatible with Existing Technology: With no special electronics required, you can easily get your membrane switch and existing controllers talking to one another.
- Visual Versatility: If aesthetics are important to you, then you should definitely consider membrane switches. Overlays can be digitally or screen printed, making it possible to include incredible high-quality graphics.
- Durability: Membrane switches are naturally durable by design, as they are easier to protect from UV radiation than if you chose to use a rubber keypad to achieve the same purpose.
- Cost-Effective: In addition to coming with a wide array of benefits, there’s also the advantage of membrane switches coming with a lower price tag than other types of touch keypads and keypad assemblies.
- Water-Resistant Designs: The water-resistant designs meet NEMA 4 and IP 67 specifications.
The Importance of a Quality Membrane Switch
When it comes to user interfaces, membrane switch keypad is a term worth familiarizing yourself with. These highly useful and versatile tools can go a long way in making your life much simpler and giving you the ability to communicate with other devices with ease via your new membrane keypad.
Thanks to a high-quality and well-designed membrane switch, many tasks can become much simpler than ever before and are literally available at your fingertips. If you have decided that a membrane switch is right for you, then it’s important to find a company that you can trust to provide you with top of the line quality and state-of-the-art technology
Membrane Switches that have set Worldwide Standards in Functionality and Design
At Hoffmann + Krippner we have set worldwide standards in functionality and design for everything you could possibly be looking for in your new membrane keypad. In everything we do, from design to construction, and beyond, we always do everything we can to exceed our clients’ expectations.
Don’t settle for anything less than the best—to learn more about our superior products and excellent services, get in touch today and see what a difference a quality membrane switch can do for you.