Touchscreens have revolutionized the market of input systems, and Hoffmann + Krippner offers SENSOTOUCH, a resistive and capacitive touch technology.
SENSOTOUCH offers high-performance, robust touchscreen solutions (both capacitive and resistive) that can fulfill any special requirements in the most advanced and forward-looking input systems and operating units.
The technology has opened new avenues regarding design options in consumer and industrial products.
Touchscreens make device interaction easy and pleasing for users; it’s no wonder they have become so popular for so many applications, ranging from industrial automation to medical technology, from consumer devices to information terminals.
Combined with Hoffmann + Krippner expertise, touch technology can provide the perfect finishing touch to your products.
Knowledgeable experts at Hoffmann + Krippner can support you in crafting your product at all stages, from initial design and prototyping through full production.
We can customize our standard touch screen offerings to meet a huge array of functional and design variations. We can also offer touchscreens as an individual component or integrated into your device with complete electronics. Our engineers have the experience and technical expertise to help determine the best way to use touchscreens or other input technologies to optimize your product to delight your own customers.
Industry-leading products, best-in-class experts, and a world-class reputation: with Hoffmann + Krippner’s magic touch, we can turn your application into a unique, high-quality, highly successful product.
Learn more about:
Resistive touchscreens are mechanically activated by the application of pressure.
It’s a simple, reliable, and affordable screen input technology that can work with stylus and gloves, with high electrical reliability, at low cost. For that reason, resistive touchscreens are still popular for industrial applications.
How does it work?
The resistive touch screens by Hoffmann + Krippner consist of transparent, conductive, cushioned layers. Even light pressure applied to the screen surface triggers the operating function. A small controller unit monitors the touch screen and relays the key actuation; the connected computer always knows where something is happening on the screen and can react accordingly – with precision down to the millimeter.
Resistive Touchscreen Advantages:
- Operation possible with heavy work gloves
- Precise control when using a stylus
- Much less susceptible to electromagnetic interference due to mechanical activation
- Currently lower priced compared to capacitive systems
Resistive Touchscreen Disadvantages:
- Only single-touch operation is possible with conventional resistive systems
- Gesture control is very limited
- Wear due to mechanical stress during operation
- Surfaces are sensitive, so not suited for devices vulnerable to vandalism
Applications for Resistive Touchscreens:
Due to the simple design, usability with a stylus and gloves, high electrical reliability and low cost, resistive technology is still widely used. Among others, it is used in:
- Office equipment (e.g. photocopiers)
- Household appliances (e.g. coffee makers)
- Hand control devices (e.g. car diagnostic)
- Input devices in medical technology
As controls in these application areas do not need to master complex gestures and multi-touch operations, the advantages of resistive technology commonly outweigh the disadvantages.
You can also contact us here to start shopping or keep scrolling down to learn about capacitive touchscreens from Hoffmann + Krippner.
Custom Capacitive Touchscreens – Response to Touch
Capacitive input technologies are the de facto standard in consumer electronics, widely used in smart devices and other touch interfaces. Moreover, capacitive touchscreens are enormously varied and flexible, all depending on customer needs: single or multi-touch, anti-reflective or tempered glass, printed or transparent surfaces, flat or curved – this technology is endlessly accommodating.
How does it work?
Hoffmann + Krippner offers different types of capacitive touch screens, though the most common are so-called Project Capacitive Touches (PCT or PCAP):
- PCTs consist of two isolated conductive layers stacked on each other.
- They are printed with a manufacturer-specific pattern (basically numerous small capacitors).
- When the finger approaches or touches the interface, electrical charge is withdrawn from the circuit; the screen detects that as a contact.
The advantage of PCT (when compared to the surface capacitive touches) is that the touch sensor may be mounted on the back of the cover glass, with the capacitive areas projected through the glass. As a result, this technology provides a more durable construction that can effectively prevent vandalism.
Capacitive Touchscreen Advantages:
- Multi-touch with up to ten fingers
- Very durable, barely exhibiting any wear and tear
- Application range and reliability increases tremendously with better controller or device-specific programming
- With appropriate components, the equipment can be operated in the harshest conditions (protected against vandalism, temperature, humidity)
Capacitive Touchscreen Disadvantages:
- Can only be operated with bare fingers or thin latex gloves (no heavy work gloves)
- Specific conductive pins required since a capacitive screen will not detect a conventional stylus
- Electromagnetic fields, moisture, or extreme temperature fluctuations can cause malfunctions
Applications for Capacitive Touchscreens:
Due to the innovations in input devices in the consumer sector – smartphones, tablets, etc. – the acceptance of the capacitive technology has increased in other areas. Further, the technology-related deficits – e.g. electromagnetic interference, humidity and temperature fluctuations – can usually be corrected or alleviated through a combination of software and hardware adjustments. Among others, capacitive input devices are now used in the following areas:
- Tablet PCs
- Industrial PCs
- Household appliances (e.g. washing machine, dryer)
- Control panels (e.g. public transportation)
- Input devices in the public sector
You can also contact us here to start shopping or keep scrolling down to learn about optical bonding options to increase clarity and visibility.
Ensure a clear view into the touchscreen.
Particularly bright environments can massively affect the readability of electronic displays. A special manufacturing technique – optical bonding – ensures a clear view by bonding the display to the touchscreen, or bonding the touchscreen to the front glass, using a highly transparent liquid adhesive.
Benefits of Optical Bonding:
- Offer a clear and brilliant image, even after years of operation
- Eliminates the air gap to prevent moisture and dirt from gathering and condensation
- Protects further against temperature fluctuations and mechanical stress
- Prevents crack in the front glass, held together by the adhesive, from immediately shattering; this minimizes the risk of injury to the operator
No touch input device is complete until a successful user interface has been designed and implemented. With flexx-GUI, Hoffmann + Krippner presents a flexible platform for graphical user interfaces.
Before flexx-GUI, users had to choose between standardized products that rarely met all needs, or customized solutions with endless appetites for budgets and time. Now, flexx-GUI provides a great alternative that can be customized according to individual requirements.
Further, flexx-GUI can even be utilized for small-series production runs, right out of the box. It works on a modular concept that serves as a base for easy customizations; only function or design changes are needed to develop a new interface.
The result is rapid, cost-effective implementation, which opens new application possibilities.
Many simple control and display components – such as switches, illuminated buttons, and lights – can be replaced by a more informative HMI for practically the same price. The wiring and, therefore, the installation is much easier, providing increased flexibility.
Ready to start shopping?
Hoffmann + Krippner brings a magic touch to the design and construction of state of the art custom touch solutions, to craft the ultimate device interface experience. Put us to the test!
Please contact us here to get started.
Have a question? Need a quote? Contact us today!